Wyong Abandoned At Midday
Today's race meeting at Wyong was abandoned after stewards and jockeys agreed the meeting could not proceed in adverse weather conditions.
Stewards conducted two morning track inspectiuons and had found the track safe for racing.
However heavy rain and winds strenghthened after the second inspection at 10.30am and stewards conceded at midday that it would be dangerous for jockeys to ride in such conditions.
More than 90mm of rain had hit the Wyong track in the last 48 hours.
"We were hopeful until the rain and wind really set in again after 11am," said Wyong chief executive Tony Drew.
"Visibility became the major factor and the stewards made the right decision as the safety of the jockeys is foremost."
The heavy rain in the north has started to create havoc with race meetings in south east Queensland.
Friday's Doomben meeting has been abandoned while Saturday's Gold Coast meeting has been deferred until next Tuesday with new nominations to be taken up to 3pm today.
Weights for Tuesday’s meeting will be declared by 8.30am on FRiday with acceptances declared at 12 noon.
he Gold Coast Turf Club will conduct a phantom meeting this Saturday with full bookmaker and tote facilities at the course.
At this stage the feature Caloundra Cup meeting at the Sunshine Coast on Saturday is still proceeding as scheduled.