Friday, 27 March 2009
: After a one year break the Piolet D'or mountaineering awards are back and six
notable climbs from 2009 have been nominated.
| Simon Anthamatten (Photo Ueli Steck)|
The climbs are:
• Solo new route on the east face of Cerro Escudo in Chile - American Dave Turner.
• Enchainment of two hard routes on Denali (6,194m) in Alaska - Fumitaka Ichimura, Yusuke Sato,
and Katsutaka Yokoyama.
• New route on the north face of 6,931-meter Kalanka in India, - Fumitaka Ichimura, Yusuke Sato, and Kazuki Amano.
• First ascent of the southeast face of 7,756-meter Kamet in India, - Kazuya Hiraide and Kei
• New route on the south face of Nuptse (7,861m) in Nepal, - Stéphane Benoist and Patrice Glairon Rappaz.
• New route on the north face of Tengkampoche (6,500m) in Nepal, - Simon Anthamatten and Ueli Steck.
The awards festival will take place in Chamonix and Courmayeur, on the French and Italian sides of
Mont Blanc, April 22-25 with the winner being announced during the four-day festival.
The jury will comprise of Jim Donini (USA), Peter Habeler (Austria), Dodo Kopold (Slovakia), Dario
Rodriguez (Spain), jury president Doug Scott (UK), and Yong Im Duck (Korea).
Check out our FREE full form
, ratings for meetings in nine countries each and every day.