[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Sunny Boy vs Glug

Sunny Boy vs Glug

Order by Date Ascending

In Depth -- Discuss an ?In Depth? article
Page 2 of 7

Go to Page: << Prev 7654321.  Next >>

Original Blog Post:

Back in the seventies when ice blocks were ice blocks these were the two big ones. The ice blocks of today just wouldn't stand up to the pressure of tough seventies competition. Just as the Northerly v Sunline, Makybe Diva v Sunline and now Red Anchor v the rest debates have sparked controversy I too hope that his topic can fire up and give us what we want in terms of meaningful and topical debate. For mine I reckon the Sunny Boy has always stood the test of time. What do the rest of you think? and please, no childish responses, this is serious stuff.

Author: Mr Lister
Subject: Sunny Boy vs Glug

Time: 5/3/2008 2:28:35 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: doosra
Subject: Re: Sunny Boy vs Glug

Time: 6/3/2008 12:01:26 AM

Blog Reply:

The Sunny Boy beats the Glug Trolley, no contest. Any track, any distance.

I am glad a few others have confessed to a Wizz Fizz addiction :) So it wasn't just me who consumed a coupla tonnes of white powder in the wild days of youth!

As a kid I was also addicted to Clinkers, those choc coated bullet shaped things that were sort of synthetic fruit flavoured.

A couple of years ago I spotted a bag of them in the lolley aisle of the supermarket (why is it that the typical stupormarket has an entire aisle devoted to lollies, one to chips and one to chocolate, and about two shelves boasting a sad collection of dusty "health products", and still has the nerve to call itself a "food" store?)

Anyway, I got the Clinkers home and with great anticipation and excited nostalgia bit into one. It tasted like pineapple flavoured Drano :(

Sadly, some things cannot be revisited. The taste buds of childhood being one of them.

But I think a Sunny Boy would still be pretty good on a hot day:)

Author: camel56

Time: 5/3/2008 9:32:32 PM

Blog Reply:

Another consistent group 1 performer was the frozen home brand popper. Stick it in the freezer for a few hours and its ready to go. Tremendous runner and cheap as chips. The Takeover Target of ice blocks you might say.

Author: Leddy

Time: 5/3/2008 9:07:19 PM

Blog Reply:

Razz for me. I reckon you got more bang for ya buck with Razz, but imo you were a better chance of getting a free ice block if you got a Sunny Boy.

Author: MD

Time: 5/3/2008 8:30:27 PM

Blog Reply:

Growing up in the West I can't recall sunnyboys - however, we did have a ripper called Freeza which came in Cola (the Grange of iceblocks), Red (also awesome - probably a Bin 389), and Lime (terrible - Stone's Green Ginger equivalent). If Sunnyboys came in a tetra pack, I'm guessing they were the same and yes totally concur that they were far superior to Glug.

I bught my kid a Glug the other day and felt sorry for him - just another rip off for today's youth, along with Teeth lollies that are now miniscule and Fags now being called Fads!!

Author: nigeltufnel

Time: 5/3/2008 8:24:44 PM

Blog Reply:

What a great thread.

Confession: Mega hyperactive raspberry cordial drinking, Razz eating ankle biter; hair all over the shop, skinned knees, untucked shirt & laces always undone.

Other distinguishing mark: semi-permanent black ring around mouth from other great love: Choo Choo Bars. I absolutely loved licorice; even after a terrible bout of the scours from scoffing a whole showbag of the stuff at the Geelong Show one year. Also very partial to Sherbet Bombs, Wizz Fizz, Mojos and Redskins.

Consequently, first set of teeth rapidly fell out around Grade Two/Three. All school photos prior to Year Five depict smile similar to that of ageing boxer.

Nige (they called me Egghead [remember Vincent Price on 'Batman'?] in those days; a consequence of a particularly severe crew cut in Grade One [1970]. It took years to live down, and about the same amount of time to forgive Dad.)

Author: Mr Lister

Time: 5/3/2008 7:40:36 PM

Blog Reply:

I was a fan of the Razz but didn't like the red lipstick look you got from sucking on one. Glugs were ok but tasted like cheap RC Cola rather than real Coke. Sunny Boy's had that nice refreshing orange flavour that primary school kids love and as McGarrett has said, they were indeed a fine band. I always rushed to the Sunny Boy stand at the Royal Melbourne Show to get my Sunny Boy showbag which had one of every colour inside. The Sunny Boy always got saved until last.

Author: camel56

Time: 5/3/2008 6:45:25 PM

Blog Reply:

Quality thread.

Agree Mr Lister. Sunny Boy's were the no nonsense iceblock. Not flashy but got the job done. A quality group 1 performer for years. Not quite up there with the Callipo but not many are.

Author: bettowin

Time: 5/3/2008 6:17:32 PM

Blog Reply:

Sunny Boys had the advantage in that you could have them frozen or in the unfrozen version you could drink them.

I vote one for the sunny boy

Author: CountChivas

Time: 5/3/2008 5:51:04 PM

Blog Reply:

Redskins rule !

Choc-O-Malt a close second.

Author: Da G Show

Time: 5/3/2008 5:42:32 PM

Blog Reply:

I had a big wrap on space food sticks and wizz fizz.

Author: The Shu

Time: 5/3/2008 5:30:36 PM

Blog Reply:

I was the wild child on the red cordial.

RAZZ for me!

Author: Wilks

Time: 5/3/2008 5:29:19 PM

Blog Reply:

Mr Lister.

I'm sure it is an unintended exclusion, perhaps due to memory loss from other '70's activities, but in populist fashion you have omitted the true Champion of ice blocks,

Razz.

Oh, the joy I have had relaying stories of the magnificence of those lazy, hazy, magic summer days with your gob wrapped around one's preferred ice block, teeth slowly freezing, jaws aching, to my innocently clueless 7 yo daughter. (Her personal preference for some skinny item known as Zupa Dooper leads me to knowingly smile with the immense satisfaction of knowing that in my day..........)

There she goes, eyes glazing over again....

Author: marbine

Time: 5/3/2008 5:22:16 PM

Blog Reply:

Razz 3
Sunny Boy 0

Author: VaDiM

Time: 5/3/2008 4:58:22 PM

Blog Reply:

Gonna have to go with the Cola Sunnyboy!

VaD

Author: peeping fawn

Time: 5/3/2008 4:57:42 PM

Blog Reply:

Calippo's are the Deep Impacto of ice blocks,unbelievable sectionals and amazing soothing powers on a hot day,you could be sweating excessively and 80 lengths of the pace but after a few Lemon calippos you would click into overdrive and win by 15 eased up.

Author: tigerrish

Time: 5/3/2008 4:55:35 PM

Blog Reply:

What about the RAZZ?

It was every bit as good as those two!

Author: pindi

Time: 5/3/2008 4:40:16 PM

Blog Reply:

Mr Lister

I found the Sunny boy's syrup to water ratio was too low. Maybe RVL ordered extra water on this product.

I have rated them as follows:

1. Glug
2. Razz
3. Sunny Boy

I must also note that Zooper Doopers were an excellent alternative for those who enjoy other codes.

Author: Night Flight

Time: 5/3/2008 4:32:56 PM

Blog Reply:

Lister,

Not sure if you are a Sydneysider and have listened to the Big Sports Breakfast in the past week but this has been a serious topic...

For me personally nothing beat the high sugar, octane loaded red Razz.

I could never work out why I always had so much energy and found it hard to sleep in my youth.

In hindsight, the 3pm RAZZ had plenty to do with it!

Cheers,
Night Flight

Author: mcgarret

Time: 5/3/2008 4:23:39 PM

Blog Reply:

Superb thread Mizza Lizza

Sunnyboys by a mile.

Somehow the free ones tasted even better.

Good band too.

McGarret out

Author: the urger

Time: 5/3/2008 4:03:26 PM

Blog Reply:

Jellytips were in a league of their own.

Page 2 of 7

Go to Page: << Prev 7654321.  Next >>

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.