[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Winx for Cox Plate

Winx for Cox Plate

Order by Date Ascending

RacePost -- Any Racing topic goes
Page 4 of 4

Go to Page: 4321.  Next >>

Original Blog Post:

Surely

Author: Todman
Subject: Winx for Cox Plate

Time: 12/9/2015 4:54:09 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: maccamax
Subject: Re: Winx for Cox Plate

Time: 16/4/2018 4:38:14 PM

Blog Reply:

Take it as it comes from here.    We start to feel the joints as Father time catches up .
Be nice if she can come back and contest the Cox Plate again.
She is the best tonic Racing has had in many years.
We may have another LADY to be a star come spring , by the Dominant run of Unforgotten in the Oaks.    ( Nice effort Hiyaam too )

Author: Gary Still

Time: 14/4/2018 8:46:45 PM

Blog Reply:

I would say Black Caviar was brilliant from the very beginning.

Winx was not.

Bowman rode Winx for luck in many of the first 9 wins of the winning streak (including her first Cox Plate, where she saved ground along the rail).

The mighty mare became mightier still, with maturity and meticulous management.

With respect to her 25 wins, Winx 10-25 is decidely superior to Winx 1-9. This is not a knock on Winx, but applause and congratulations to Waller and Bowman for having a great understanding of what this potential champion needed, to develop into the best in the world.

Author: dhaulagiri

Time: 14/4/2018 8:16:42 PM

Blog Reply:

Amazing to think that 20 races later (from her first Cox Plate) she is still as good as ever.
Go Winx!

Time: 14/4/2018 7:04:32 PM

Blog Reply:

this thread is still appropriate for the 2018 Cox Plate - she is so special - the best of the best

Author: gladys

Time: 3/11/2017 8:33:02 AM

Blog Reply:

Welcome back Tufnel!

At least now when I am too lazy to do the form I will have your selections to lay.

Author: nigeltufnel

Time: 1/11/2017 9:33:59 PM

Blog Reply:

I’m back. Been a great year.

So glad I made it home in time to see her in the Turnbull & Cox Plate. She is the best I’ve seen and the best in the world.

Nige

Time: 29/10/2017 9:04:09 AM

Blog Reply:

Little did I know, just how good she was, when I posted this

Time: 26/10/2016 11:41:25 AM

Blog Reply:

Flemington Saturday, race 5. Should run at around 2.25pm. At least six potential top liners engaged. I think it might be one of the races of the carnival, if not the season.

Author: gladys

Time: 25/10/2016 4:41:03 PM

Blog Reply:

It is no secret that I laid her, (together with Hartnell), in the Cox Plate and lost.

I admit that she is the best horse we have at present in Oz, between 1400 metres and 2000 metres by a country mile.

Unfortunately, though not detracting from her last fourteen months or so, it is still a bit like saying that Steve Smith is the best cricketer in Australia. Who else is there?

Author: Redback

Time: 23/10/2016 5:11:13 AM

Blog Reply:

Hail the queen. Just toying with good horses, super stuff.

Author: worker collective farmer

Time: 14/10/2016 12:59:23 PM

Blog Reply:

ROFLMAO it's so full of irony, among other things. Kudos to you, Mr Minus63 :)

Author: Khaptingly

Time: 14/10/2016 5:15:10 AM

Blog Reply:

The Cox Plate is just another race for us professional full-time punters.

The race could be above that. It could just happen to be the first sporting event or race for which WCF has ever given us it's tip.

Amazing it is, amazing. WCF, so much to say, nothing worthwhile or thought provoking and never a PREDICTION or TIP. Courage NOT!!

Author: worker collective farmer

Time: 14/10/2016 12:12:27 AM

Blog Reply:

And for Khrapper, a loser at 6/4 is the same as one at 6/1. Oh, well you can't expect much from someone losing 63% on turnover

Time: 13/10/2016 12:27:49 PM

Blog Reply:

Yeah, it's just another race: NOT.

Author: Khaptingly

Time: 13/10/2016 7:37:53 AM

Blog Reply:

A winner at 6/4 or 6/1, is the same as any other whether it is called Winx or anything else.

Time: 13/10/2016 7:25:18 AM

Blog Reply:

I've been lucky enough to be at Flemington and Caulfield in the last couple of weeks to see Hartnell and Winx; it's a real spine tingler to see great horses up close.
The thing I've noticed in both their wins is their high cruising speed and then their extra 'gears' - the way they can extend so quickly and take control of a race. Both of them only needed really serious riding for a furlong or less.

It's going to be something to see come Cox Plate Day. My only hope is that both of them get a bit of luck in running and we get to see them both at their absolute best with no excuses.

Nige ;-)

Author: Abraham Froman

Time: 12/10/2016 8:49:48 PM

Blog Reply:

Well it's only 9 days until Cox Plate weekend and I can't wait. Who would have thought Hartnell would come back this well (not me) and emerge as a genuine contender to the star mare. It's certainly going to be an almighty tussle. I'm sticking with Winx, she has the runs on the board, is versatile, handles the valley and holds the track record.

The Manikato is an intriguing race. What to make of Chautauqua in the Moir? I think he was OK, had to be ridden the whole way just to keep up with the second last horse and came home pretty well. Sort of reminded me of Apache Cat's runs in the BTC cup, the distance a bit short and maybe looked plain on paper, but then blew them away 2 weeks later over more ground. It's a worry that extreme choice put a couple on him on the turn, but extreme choice won't be there.

I can see him tacking on easier and coming home over the top. Maybe his last group 1? The 3yo sprinting ranks look very strong. The 3.00 for the Patinack (what's it called these days?) is poison under the race conditions. But 2.50 at WFA against the usual suspects (Buffering, Lucky Hussler, Under the Louvre etc...) looks good to me.

I'm predicting the same group 1 double as last year, the multi odds being 5.50 - an investment of $182 will give you a 1K return if successful.

Author: Abraham Froman

Time: 7/4/2016 7:45:26 PM

Blog Reply:

I have to admit that I wasn't convinced she was top shelf until she blew away the cox plate field by 5 lengths in record time (beating Might and Power's record). Obviously now everyone has seen how good she is. Her turn of foot is very very rare. I'm not convinced she is a genuine 2000m horse. I think she might be similar to Sunline, more of a miler who can stretch out to 2000m at the tight valley track.

I see that she is 3.50 for the cox plate, 6 months from the race. Anyone having a go? If she comes back in the spring and runs OK first up she'll be straight into odds on.

Everyone was holding their breath in the Doncaster at the top of the straight 'the tension, the drama, the buzz, the crowd, the atmosphere'. Great for racing!

Time: 4/4/2016 3:30:02 PM

Blog Reply:

I meant to include "Winx has now won six group ones (5 AGAINST OPEN AGE), and as pointed out on another site, not too many horses rack up that many group ones over non sprint distances, and she has done it in under 12 months, plus she has won all of them decisively and most of them, very easily."

Author: dhaulagiri

Time: 4/4/2016 11:50:20 AM

Blog Reply:

Winx stirs that sense of breathless excitement every time she races, that recall the racing days of horses such as Sunline and Black Caviar, to name the obvious comparative champs.

It's too early to tell if she matches up to Sunline's achievements, but with Winx' versatility over various distances, the great New Zealand mare is the one that springs to mind most readily.

How far can Winx go?

You are to be commended Todman for recognising her potential early in the piece. Since the Cox Plate she has gone from strength to strength.

How thrilling - we again live in heady times.

Page 4 of 4

Go to Page: 4321.  Next >>

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.