[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Whip use and protests

Whip use and protests

Order by Date Ascending

RacePost -- Any Racing topic goes
Page 1 of 1

Original Blog Post:

I might be talking from my pocket, but when are stewards going to take a race off a horse for overuse of the whip?

Corey Brown is fined $3000 and admits he was worried about being suspened for his ride on the last winner at Flemington. Cosidering the margin was a long head, how much of an advantage did the extra use of the whip give the winner?

The rule is pointless because connections aren't lodging protests knowing they will be thrown out, yet it warrants a fine and possible suspension. That itself says there must be some advantage to the horse, irrespective of the so called cruelty issue.

Author: MJD
Subject: Whip use and protests

Time: 12/11/2017 8:03:45 AM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: Gary Still
Subject: Re: Whip use and protests

Time: 14/11/2017 2:48:20 PM

Blog Reply:

Horses react differently to the whip making a fixed margin equivalent for each cut, inappropriate.

You would know that if a horse wins by a nose, the jockey can "weigh in" nearly half a kilo underweight and still retain the race.

If we start messing with these two anomalies (just for starters), we will get a system so complicated that every race will require a thorough investigation to determine who "mathematically" should have won, or been placed 2nd, 3rd or 4th in the race.

Time: 14/11/2017 1:30:08 PM

Blog Reply:

I agree again with you, but in regard to my previous post why not have a standard guide for extra whip use in protests

ie:
2 extra hits = nose
3 extra = half head etc.

I can see in the future an owner losing a major race especially a stallion making race, Caulfield Guineas, Slipper etc. by a very close margin; the winning rider is suspended and or fined for excessive whip use and the matter ends up in court.

Then there will be issues.

Time: 14/11/2017 1:05:44 PM

Blog Reply:

I don't disagree that extra cracks with the whip could improve a horse's performance, but its too subjective and too dangerous to throw in yet another element in the protest mix.

Restricted whip use was introduced (imho) to appease animal rights activists. It should not now become another way to reverse a result.

Time: 14/11/2017 12:39:17 PM

Blog Reply:

Agree, there are many variables that can alter the result of a race, but the issue is this:if Brown thought his horse needed extra strikes with the whip to win, which he obviously did, then he took the risk knowing he wouldn't lose the race on protest.

Now if whip use is the issue simply ban the whip, easy, but by not banning it, to me, is an admission that it does help some horses give their best, especially one would think, in a tight finish.

So to the original argument; did Browns horse gain an unfair advantage and win the race due to him breaking the Rules of Racing? and I agree it's very difficult to estimate how much of an advantage. But when the margin is a long head you would think so.

Perhaps some guide or standard on losing margins could be put in place where the winning or losing margin could determine whether a race result is altered?

Time: 12/11/2017 10:01:10 AM

Blog Reply:

MJD,

There were a flurry of protests when the rule was first introduced.

The whole matter was quickly becoming a nightmare for stewards, trainers, jockeys, owners and punters with no result being certain, until correct weight was given.

The rule was intended to punish "cruelty". It was not introduced to provide yet another means of reversing a result.

I'm personally happy that it has been removed as a criteria for lodging a protest. There is no question that excessive use could in some cases contribute to a small margin win, but there are a hundred variables in racing that do so.

And I'll just name one. If a jockey comes back to scale and is underweight by a 100g, 200g, 300g, could that also not be a telling factor in a short margin victory?

Let's not complicate things even further.

Page 1 of 1

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.