[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - Nearly Time

Nearly Time

Order by Date Ascending

Racing and Sports -- Site comments or suggestions
Page 5 of 5

Go to Page: 54321.  Next >>

Original Blog Post:

I was reading that Winx is coming back to racing on 17th February and following her usual campaign. Looks like the overseas trip, as predicted, is going nowhere.

I can understand why she won't be going. Why would you travel overseas when you can beat up the local no hopers for much more prize money.

It won't be long until Gary gives us one of his heart rendering posts about "the champ being in trouble" and "can her courage keep her going". If and when she beats up the usual no hopers then we can be treated to other quotes like "it is not what she beats but how she beats them". I like that one, it is a nice way of saying she has once again beaten nothing.

Red Excitement and Happy Clapper will be back again as well as that third stringer from Godolphin. We can all feel humble and privileged and burst in to tears as our locally bred superstars fill the places. We can also feel lucky that First Seal got injured and retired and that Astern went to stud otherwise she probably wouldn't have won a race.

Now even the dunderheads on the forum know that she is the product of an overseas shuttle stallion so help me out with this one.

Who is the best Aussie bred horse or horses she has beaten? Perhaps L.Rex can give us some of his ratings. You know, the ones he uses in assessing form in HK.

The silence is deafening!

Author: gladys
Subject: Nearly Time

Time: 20/1/2018 11:00:10 AM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Author: Rex
Subject: Re: Nearly Time

Time: 22/2/2018 7:55:27 PM

Blog Reply:

Proud to admit to being a forum troll via a message a 12yo would be too mature to construct?

Says plenty about you, Bop Bag.

Author: worker collective farmer

Time: 22/2/2018 6:59:58 PM

Blog Reply:

Oh, Gladyboy. The only embarrassing stuff on here is by you. I see you're so desperate to tear Winx down that you're even making horse names up. Anyway keep baiting. It's so much fun *rolls     eyes*

Time: 22/2/2018 11:34:23 AM

Blog Reply:

I wonder if the Little Helper winces each time you include that private message that I sent to him.

Perhaps he feels proud being known as a person that betrays confidences.

I am quite proud of that message I sent him as I meant every word.

Time: 22/2/2018 10:47:43 AM

Blog Reply:

Bop Bag

instead of just leaving the thread how about paying up your debt from your losing bet and leave the forum permanently.

"Hi WCF. I love the banter on the forum. I trust you don't take it personally, just a bit of fun"

"Anyhow, back to the stirring. Hope you back a few winners and keep up the cracking slings at me. Regards Gladys"

Time: 22/2/2018 7:55:25 AM

Blog Reply:

Looks like I have exhumed a few of the forum corpses to give me another lecture on my inability to recognize this equine greatness.

Black Caviar was the best sprinter of her era. Like Winx, she had no opposition. She was so great she could not win a Group One until she was a four year old. Her claim to fame was she beat Hay List. By flogging no hopers, usually stablemates, she had the racing media in tears. Thank God for her, there was no one else to write about. Something happened in the stable too, didn't it?

Fast forward a few years and we have Winx. She was towelled by Fenway, First Seal, Arise and Gust of Wind. They left the scene and she took on no hopers and brought back all the tears again for the racing media. She is also the best horse in Australia between 1400-2000. She has beaten Foxplay, Red Excitement and Happy Clapper.

Anyway, you have all had your chance to name the best Aussie bred horse she has beaten and you have got nothing.

I think I will leave this thread now so Rex can bring on some of his thought provoking comments.

Time: 21/2/2018 7:51:03 PM

Blog Reply:

Bop Bag once again forum baiting (see bottom of post), or maybe he just doesn't understand form and horse racing? He certainly hasn't a clue about international form.

The bit about Highland Reel not firing is laughable. His greatest success came on the International stage. He was a renowned traveller. The horse was brought to Australia (and elsewhere) in search of decent ground, which he got.

Out of season? The following November (2 weeks later in the season than the Cox Plate) he won the Breeders defeating American turf horse of the year Flintshire, Arc winner Found, and Juddmonte International and Eclipse winner Ulysses. Ulysses was was over 6L behind him- the same horse was 4L behind Enable when 3rd in last years Arc.

He had won 2 of his previous 3 before arriving in Australia including in America 2 starts prior, and was only 4L behind Arc and Derby winner Golden Horn (on ground he didn't like) prior being beaten 5.5L behind Winx.

After meeting Winx he travelled to Hong Kong and won, defeating his old sparring partner Flintshire, who was coming off a 2nd to Golden Horn in the Arc (had Treve and Found in behind), a win in a G1 and a 2nd to twice Arc winner Treve.

Bop Bag, you're an absolute novice at form and forum baiting champ.

"Hi WCF. I love the banter on the forum. I trust you don't take it personally, just a bit of fun"

"Anyhow, back to the stirring. Hope you back a few winners and keep up the cracking slings at me. Regards Gladys"

Author: tigerrish

Time: 21/2/2018 4:09:17 PM

Blog Reply:

"Don't give me that Highland Reel spiel. He was half way around the world, out of season and didn't fire."

Nevermind he went to HK 6 weeks later and beat a class field. That doesn't count, does it?

He beat Preferment just over 7 lengths in HK, a very similar margin to what he beat the same horse home by in the CP.

No excuses, remember....?

Author: Gary Still

Time: 21/2/2018 3:45:48 PM

Blog Reply:

Gladys,

When one is talking about tens of thousands of thoroughbreads, the "standard" of performance is virtually a constant. Any variation from year to year is minimal.

To suggest that the "standard" of tens of thousand of horses has dropped several lengths to the point that horses like Northerly would give the current stock a "towelling" is bizarre.

Amongst those tens of thousands of horses it will sometimes happen that one or two will rise above the rest. That being said, the champs of yesteryear were many times beaten by these "standard" performers.

Your inability to see the bleeding obvious, that Winx (and Black Caviar) are amongst the greatest horses ever seen in Australia and the rest of the world, is embarrassing.

Time: 21/2/2018 2:59:23 PM

Blog Reply:

Thank you for your kind informative words, Super.

As no one else has been able to assist, would you be kind enough to tell me the name of the best Aussie bred horse she has beaten?

Chirp..chirp..a few more cricket and frog noises...silence!!!!

Author: Super Impose

Time: 21/2/2018 12:58:40 PM

Blog Reply:

Why stop at two, let's have third moan about this person's view!!

Time: 21/2/2018 11:49:38 AM

Blog Reply:

Hi Macca. I can see why you like that person's views. On first read it looks like the writer may have a point. But then, when one looks a little bit closer, the wheels on the credibility bus fall off.

I love the part where the writer builds up Winx's reputation on the basis that she beat "The Epsom winner". Just cast your mind back to last October and that Epsom.

That was without one doubt, the worst Epsom field in the history of a once great race. It was on par with the Stradbroke and Turnbull as one of the greatest embarrassments in our racing history. We all thought it could get no worse but then we got the Cox Plate. Remember that little gem. More than half the field had not won at the distance and more than half the field had not even won in the class. Winx fell in to beat Humidor with the third horse only three lengths away. That third horse had only ever won a weak Group Three before.

No wonder the writer did not mention any other horses that she had beaten.

I think you would need a diving bell to find the credibility in this article, it is based that low.

Time: 20/2/2018 1:46:40 PM

Blog Reply:

Yes, Macca, that is really wonderful.

Kingston Town suffered from numerous leg problems. The great TJ reckoned that if Kingston Town's legs were OK he would have been the equal of Tulloch.

Whoever wrote this spiel is obviously a big Winx fan, which he or she is entitled to be.

Funny though, whilst singing her praises the only horse that he could mention was Happy Clapper. As for her weight in the Doncaster, More Joyous carried that amount of weight and against a far superior field.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have mine. She is the best horse in Australia at present between 1400 and 2000 metres. Unfortunately, she has never met any decent opposition since 2015. She did before that and got towelled. If she has, name them. Don't give me that Highland Reel spiel. He was half way around the world, out of season and didn't fire.

Author: maccamax

Time: 20/2/2018 12:58:42 PM

Blog Reply:

I like this persons views..:-
The King missed three autumns so he could tackle the Cox Plate in spring. His third Cox Plate was magnificent made more so by Bill Collins now famous call. Yet, since May 2015 Winx has won every race between 1400-2200m set before her in both spring and autumn and races more times per year than some horses in their entire career - 10 races in 2015, 8 in 2016 and 9 last year. Her versatility combined with her brilliant turn of foot, competitive edge, speed and stamina to overcome all challengers, distances and conditions is what sets her apart from her contemporaries. She set a weight-carrying record for a mare to win the 2015 Epsom Hcp, a race she shouldn't have won such was her hopeless position while suffering interference, before going on to win the Cox Plate in record time beating Highland Reel who went on to become an outstanding global superstar with 7 G1s to his name. He took on the world's best racing in the most coveted races on the global calendar winning 2xHKJC G1 Vases, G1 King George and Queen Elizabeth Stakes, G1 Prince of Wales Stakes (SYT won this back in 2012), G1 Breeders Cup Turf and a 2nd in the Arc. The string of wins Winx pulled together in season 2015-16 had never before been seen on the oz turf. In the autumn of 2016 Winx won every race set before her including carrying a record weight for a four year old mare (56.5 kg) to land the Doncaster Hcp while giving second placed Happy Clapper 6kg. He won last year's Epsom Hcp with top weight of 57 kg. In filthy conditions, her George Ryder win in autumn last year was simply sublime. That spring she won the Cox Plate by a record margin in the most dominating manner. Last spring, Winx should not have won the Warwick yet did. Her barrier mannerisms do her no favours, yet overcomes these and sometimes sluggish starts to pull off finishes that are reminiscent of Bernborough. Covering more ground than any other horse in last year's Cox Plate she bested her own track record. What other horse can lay claim to winning the country's premier wfa race three years running in this fashion? It's unprecedented. We all know great horses not only have an uncanny knack of making good horses look very ordinary but cause connections of other horses to look elsewhere in the hopes of winning without Winx in the picture. Need proof - look no further than Black Caviar when she was racing. To anyone who thinks Winx beats nothing and there's nothing special about how she wins her races, look up her 22 wins on the trot courtesy of youtube. There will always be those that knock her but it's their loss so far as I'm concerned. I appreciate champions from every era, and I am absolutely loving the era of Winx.
     Amen

Time: 17/2/2018 8:22:17 AM

Blog Reply:

It doesn't make me happy at all. Macca. It is just reality I am afraid.

It is not Winx's fault that racing has fallen so far in this country. I was a regular at the races for many years and now rarely attend. Good horses and competition, strong betting rings and fellow punters made the day one of the the highlights of my week. Over the last twenty years this has declined and we have poor races, no competition and weak betting rings. Race meetings are set up to encourage drunks and bogans, who would not know a horse from a greyhound, to get totally wasted in a bid to have numbers attend. We have races worth millions of dollars, contested by no hopers, to keep the breeding industry rich.

There was a time when he had proper racing journalists like Keith Robbins, Bert Lillye and Max Presnell who would put a rocket under any type of maladministration or unwarranted hype about persons or horses. These days we have a bunch of sycophants who burst in to tears and hero worship anyone who has a horse that is above average.

Give it ten years and racing as we know it will be dead.

Time: 17/2/2018 12:57:20 AM

Blog Reply:

Very much like me is WINX.

To make you happy Glady's we will settle for being the best of an ordinary lot.

Time: 16/2/2018 2:16:32 PM

Blog Reply:

I agree with you, Macca, Winx has class and is the best horse in Australia at present.

She can afford to miss the start, run three wide, storm over the top, run backwards on two legs if she likes, as the opposition is non existent, in short they are hopeless duds. Any horse with a bit of upside could towel the opposition she has faced.

Try making one or some of those errors against worthy opposition and see what happens.

Time: 16/2/2018 10:50:24 AM

Blog Reply:

Time analysis is complex.

Briefly, Winx has the class to produce what is required to win the race.
If that means setting the clock on fire for a final 600 / 800m after a slow early pace to storm home & win, it matters not, what the overall time is in some other race.

No doubt you have heard of the 'Top performance against the sectionals'
Winx has shown us exactly that, in many of her past 22 wins.

Bowman had her 3 wide all the way in her most recent Cox Plate win. Suicidal ride really and she had to lift to break her own course record to overcome the unexpected effort of Humidor. Lift she did, as always.

Only Champions do that.

Time: 16/2/2018 7:45:24 AM

Blog Reply:

You might well be right in saying that "they" will be talking about Winx long after we are gone Macca, I don't know.

One thing I do know is that "they" will not be talking about her opposition. No one, including this forum, can talk about it now, here in the present.

Who is the best Aussie horse she has beaten? If you are unsure just wait until the exhibition gallop on Saturday, she is lined up against them all again.

Instead of calling it an exhibition gallop they should give it Group One status. It is the same as all the others that she has contested.

Time: 16/2/2018 12:39:46 AM

Blog Reply:

Bop Bag

so now times do mean something? Anyway the wind blows weltcher

Author: gladys Send message to this user
Subject: Re: Winx - Where's the numbers - Shame

Time: 30/10/2017 10:46:17 AM

Blog Reply:

Course records mean little.

Time: 15/2/2018 8:20:52 PM

Blog Reply:

Well I don't think times mean all that much, Macca.

Last year on 19 August in the Warwick Stakes, Winx struggled to beat Foxplay in a 1400 metre race carrying 57kg. On the same day, at the same track over the same distance of 1400 metres, Comin' Through carried three and half kilos more, 60.5, to win and ran the distance in faster time than Winx had.

Using your logic, Comin' Through would have towelled up your world champion.

The geniuses rated Winx at 132 on that run, they rated Comin' Through at 89.

Tell me why!

Page 5 of 5

Go to Page: 54321.  Next >>

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.