[close]

One of the many facilities Racing And Sports provides for all users is the ability to access "audio" content. Because of our significant domestic and international presence at the race track and of it, not only are we delivering extensive racing information and technology along with form content, you can avail yourself of a substantial amount of interviews conducted by the Racing And Sports team.

They include discussions with Jockeys, Trainers and Owners through the week, Post-Race interviews, Press conferences at major meetings and also Race Day Previews from our racing staff. All these emanate from racing right around the world.

Forum - GOLDEN SLIPPER DAY

GOLDEN SLIPPER DAY

Order by Date Ascending

RacePost -- Any Racing topic goes
Page 2 of 2

Go to Page: 21.  Next >>

Original Blog Post:

Howdy all,
          I'm planning a trip to sydney for the slipper this year, and was wondering if i remembered right that there is going to be 5 group 1's on the one day?

Is it a good day out there or is it too crowded? Expensive to get in?

Most importantly, which good horses are likely to be running?

Any info would be appreciated!

Regards,
        Abe

Author: Abraham Froman
Subject: GOLDEN SLIPPER DAY

Time: 2/3/2004 6:28:22 PM

Post a replyPost a reply to this message.

Subject: Re: GOLDEN SLIPPER DAY

Time: 25/3/2017 8:37:33 PM

Blog Reply:

Reckon im atlas shrugged. Been a long innings. Bayartai. Abraham S. Froman

Author: tigerrish

Time: 20/3/2017 10:46:45 AM

Blog Reply:

"Why don't they follow the silence of the old man and let the action do the talking."

The poster was referring to the old man, not either of his sons.

You do know the post was made in 2004 and was referring to Lonhro, who was trained by John?

Author: tigerrish

Time: 20/3/2017 10:44:58 AM

Blog Reply:

"Why don't they follow the silence of the old man and let the action do the talking."

The poster was referring to the old man, not either of his sons.

You do know the post was made in 2004 and was referring to Lonhro, who was trained by John?

Author: GeoffreyPudding

Time: 19/3/2017 9:27:28 PM

Blog Reply:

Whatever next indeed, dear Gladys/Hondo? Surely not your reminiscence of the the time you thought anyone on the forum gave an ounce of stuffing about your opinions?

Regards

Geoffrey

Author: lostclarity

Time: 19/3/2017 11:59:10 AM

Blog Reply:

'Wait till Hawkes says something.'

He already has ~ far too often. Both of them.

Why don't they follow the silence of the old man and let the action do the talking.

Didn't we love the way Winx put them to the sword yesterday. Enough about Chatauqua. For God's sake.

Author: gladys

Time: 17/3/2017 7:35:36 PM

Blog Reply:

First of all we had "Great Moments of Yesterday" where we became nostalgic and heard tales of great horses most people on this forum had never seen. Now, we have reflections of days of yore when we went to a race meeting years ago. What next? Tufnel's Family Holidays recap?

Time: 16/3/2017 8:57:23 PM

Blog Reply:

Just having a little reminisce back to my Uni days. Yikes, who drives 800k's to Sydney and then the same back for a weekend these days??

I still have great memories of this weekend, starting with a huge night on the Friday (someone started a rumour that if we could make it to Balmain, Gary Jack would shout us all night).

I remember backing a stack of winners - Starcraft, Special Harmony, Lonhro, Dance Hero. (Mummify the only loser - 2nd to Grand Zulu). The George Ryder was a real highlight, Lonhro was such a popular horse. Someone offered me $50 for my free Lonhro hat after the race but I declined, still got it. The George Ryder would have to be my equal favourite race of the year with the Cox Plate.

I think I've been to 3 or 4 slippers since. The following year was even better - managed to snag a $500 trifecta early in a race won by Serenade Rose then powered on into Eremein and a couple of others that I can't recall.

Some other highlights for me were Divine Madonna coming from the clouds to win the queen of the turf (scintilating!) and all upping into Bianomour in Melbourne on a whim. One year a mate got a tip for the old boy mustard, I couldn't come in at 20/1 but was still great to see them clean up.

Only a few lowlights - one year there was a heavy 10 and a lot of good things got rolled including Viewed in the BMW (Blutigeroo won I think?!). Finally found a winner in the last race Dao Dao to get back to square, but then went all up into a WA good thing called Dantes Volonte which I think got injured and lost to Hadabeaclorka! Also got a tip for Phelan Ready but didn't follow it due to the outside barrier.

Last year was a great day with perfect weather and plenty of winners - Winx, Tarzino etc... Almost a landmark day as had a big go on Yankee Rose EW at 30/1!

This year? At a 6 year birthday party with the kids as the wife planned a girls weekend away. How times have changed.

Any favourite Slipper Day memories?

Abe

Author: return-of-infidel

Time: 5/3/2004 12:27:47 PM

Blog Reply:

That would be just a guess, develop. I think it unlikely he runs in the Ryder, and fairly likely he runs in the Ranvet.

But then I thought he was unlikely to run in the St George/Australian Cup.
Wait till Hawkes says something.

Author: develop

Time: 5/3/2004 11:11:07 AM

Blog Reply:

Ok, this post previously contained interesting, but useless information for me, as going to Sydney for the Slipper had not entered my thoughts. I was planning to see Lonhro?s last Melbourne race in the Australian Cup on Monday, but other commitments have appeared. As a compromise, my girlfriend and I are now looking at flying up to Sydney for a weekend to see Lonhro before he heads off to stud.

So my question is this: What race(s) is Lonhro likely to target in Sydney? Will he head straight into the Ranvet after the Aust Cup, or freshen up for the Ryder and then into the QE Stakes? Any ideas?

Having looked at the STC website, Golden Slipper day looks like being a great days racing, regardless of who turns up. However, any info you guys could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Develop

P.S. The River Cat sounds like an excellent way to travel to Rosehill.

Author: Racing Gal

Time: 4/3/2004 4:14:16 PM

Blog Reply:

You catch the Rivercat at Circular Quay which is between the Bridge and the Opera House - just ask, most people in Sydney will know where it is. I think the wharf it departs from is in the middle but there will be a sign. The cost one way is about $6.00 but it is a very pleasant and relaxing trip and you can study the form on the way.

Time: 4/3/2004 3:30:09 PM

Blog Reply:

Cheers y'all,
             So where do you get on the Rivercat then? (I don't know sydney well).

I can assure you that i will be there now, I'm on the rice and (personally caught) fish diet until the 2nd to save cash. Unless employer J. W. Howard gives me an advance...

Abraham

Author: cornholio

Time: 3/3/2004 9:49:26 PM

Blog Reply:

Get the Rivercat to Parra Abe, if you haven't seen much of Sydney, it's a beautiful trip, doesn't really take all that long, bit longer than the train, but much better scenery. And after the races, go over the road to the Rydges(think it's Rydges) beer garden, eye candy aplenty, and wait out the crowds there.

Author: muirfield

Time: 3/3/2004 6:58:49 PM

Blog Reply:

I've been to about 10 slippers and concur that it is a great day.

Beware of thieves stealing your car though because that happened to me last year.

It was a nice car too.

Author: smokin

Time: 3/3/2004 4:56:48 PM

Blog Reply:

I may be a little biased being a STC member, but let me assure you, Golden Slipper day is in the Top 2 sydney racing days.

Do yourself the favour, pay the entrance, put up with the crowds, but make sure you watch every race with your own two eyes, they are all fantastic!

smokin......

Author: moonchase

Time: 3/3/2004 4:05:06 PM

Blog Reply:

its around $25 to get in.

Author: moonchase

Time: 3/3/2004 4:04:13 PM

Blog Reply:

ive been to the slipper the past few years and i have never found the crowd to be too bad.
yes there are lots of people but you can still get around and get something to eat,drink and put bets on.

the crowd makes the atmosphere great and its hard not to get excited before the big races.

some one who goes with me hates crowds and they didnt complain much so thats a good sign.

Author: Moleboy

Time: 3/3/2004 2:26:14 PM

Blog Reply:

It looks like a fantastic day.

Personally I can't stand Sydney and wouldn't go there for my own wedding - but I'll be there for this.

Time: 3/3/2004 2:18:25 PM

Blog Reply:

The Rivercat trip takes about 1 hour.

There are a couple of special trains that leave from Central but the time varies. The best alternative is to catch any train that stops at Clyde. Once at Clyde go to platform 1 and there is a shuttle train that runs between Rosehill and Clyde every 15 mins. Rosehill is the next station to Clyde and it takes less than 5 mins.

You can do the same for the return or there is a shuttle bus that runs between Rosehill and Strathfield Station. The trip on takes about 15 mins and there are more trains stop at Strathfield than at Clyde.

All transport information is in the racebook or on the STC website - www.theraces.com.au

Hope this helps

Author: Speedy Gonzalez

Time: 3/3/2004 12:10:50 PM

Blog Reply:

"free beer" yeah u get 1 or 2 free tooheys beers each after lining up for ages. hardly worth going to the track for. good gesture by singo but u wouldnt go for 1 or 2 free beers. by that stage u would be drunk enough anyway.

the slipper should be a race for 3yos. I'd rather go and watch e&e and reg gal than immature 2yos where the luckiest and most mature horse wins.

Time: 3/3/2004 11:04:16 AM

Blog Reply:

There will be 4 G1 races this year.

Slipper
BMW
Arrowfield Stud Stakes
George Ryder (or whatever sponsor it has this year)

I have been to the last 12 slippers in a row. Always have a good day and the atmosphere is great. And if Singo happens to win a big race you get free beer (cant see it happening this year though).

It is the only day of don't drive but go by public transport. You get off the train and go directly into the course or for a more lesiurely way catch the Rivercat to Parramatta and they have free buses to the course.

Page 2 of 2

Go to Page: 21.  Next >>

Racing and Sports now moderates the Talkback forum to ensure posting guidelines are adhered to.
The views expressed on Talkback are those of the writer and not necessarily those of Racing and Sports. You must be a registered user to write postings or send messages to other users. Click here to register.