3 minute read
Arrowfield Stud legend adds to legacy with another broodmare sire premiership.
Given he died more than three years ago, Redoute's Choice's days as a force in the Australian Champion Sire award – a title he won three times – appear over.
His youngest sons and daughters are three, but he had less than 130 live foals in his last three crops after operating on a reduced workload in his final few seasons, meaning he is up against it against the likes of I Am Invincible, who claimed an overdue first win in that award this year.
But the Arrowfield Stud legend remains a premiership force, as he proved in this year's Australian Champion Broodmare Sire award.
The son of Danehill won that award for the third time in the past four years when progeny from his daughters amassed $29,491,158 to knock off arch-rival Encosta de Lago by a tick under $3m.
"He certainly has a big number of breeding daughters working for him, but Redoute's Choice's success has always been about high levels of elite performance and so it proved last season," Arrowfield's Susan Archer said.
"He appeared as the damsire of nine Group 1 performers including three smashing colts, Hitotsu, Anamoe and Profondo, Oaks winner Gypsy Goddess and weight-for-age winner Regal Power.
"Quite simply, Redoute's Choice is pure gold for breeders, owners and trainers and his legacy is a vibrant force that will benefit Australian breeding and racing for years to come."
Redoute's Choice's daughters were responsible for some of the stars of the 2021/22 season, including a handful of Group 1 winners:
- HITOTSU (Maurice x Love Is Fickle): Highest earner from a daughter of Redoute's, amassing $3,171,250 via Group 1 wins in the Victoria and ATC Derbys and Australian Guineas.
- ANAMOE (Street Boss x Anamato): Won two Group 1s – the Caulfield Guineas and Rosehill Guineas – but perhaps best remembered for his narrow second in the Cox Plate.
- PROFONDO (Deep Impact x Honesty Prevails): The $1.9m Magic Millions yearling justified the high price tag with a brilliant win in the Spring Champion Stakes.
- GYPSY GODDESS (Tarzino x Invisible Coin): Yet to miss a place in nine starts, including a last-start win in the Queensland Oaks.
- REGAL POWER (Pierro x Broadway Belle): Banked a second G1 win when he upset boom WA galloper Western Empire in the Kingston Town Stakes.
With Anamoe and Regal Power targeting the Melbourne spring features, Gypsy Goddess heading towards the $10m Golden Eagle and promising crop of three-year-olds including Caulfield Guineas favourite Foujita San (Maurice x Belle Giselle), Redoute's Choice should be a force again in the 2022/23 season, which started on Monday.
He might well be prominent after the first weekend of the new season with Count De Rupee (Real Impact x Timeless Choice) second favourite for Saturday's $250,000 Group 2 Missile Stakes at Randwick.