3 minute read
Josh Jenkins has become the first former Adelaide player to publicly back-up Eddie Betts' startling revelations about the Crows' infamous 2018 camp.
Josh Jenkins has claimed a "damning" medical report into Adelaide's camp was buried as the former Crows forward backed up Eddie Betts' explosive accounts of the infamous 2018 trip.
Jenkins, who played 147 AFL games for Adelaide before retiring last year after a stint with Geelong, has opened up on his experience of the Crows' ill-fated pre-season trip to the Gold Coast in January 2018.
In a prepared statement read out on SEN on Friday, Jenkins said the club "fell apart" following the camp.
"What I am about to say, and what Eddie Betts has stated in his book, has been four years in the making," Jenkins said.
"There is a report from our club doctor Marc Cesana ... he wrote a lengthy report off the back of his dealings with us as players and people.
"No one has ever acted on that report, which I know is damning.
"The report must see the light of day.
"It's the only example of a medical professional who had day-to-day dealings with the people and the players involved.
"Our doctor expressed in front of the entire playing group and most the staff that what occurred on the camp was totally unacceptable - and I know the report captures that."
Jenkins claimed personal and sensitive information about his upbringing was used against him by the leaders of the camp.
His wife remained "devastated" and "furious" about how their time in Adelaide ended as they moved to Geelong at the end of 2019.
Jenkins said he was ostracised at the Crows after demanding all players and staff explain to each other what had happened on the camp.
"In the end, I was moved on from the Crows as a problem child, an argument starter and even in one piece of literature I saw labelling me as 'cancerous'," Jenkins said.
"The only cancer at the club was the idea that taking us on a psychologically unsafe camp that was supposedly going to make us better parents, siblings and teammates.
"I suppose overcoming the loss of your senior coach to a senseless murder and making the finals two months later and making a grand final two years later was not enough."
Earlier on Friday, AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan defended the league's investigation of the Crows' camp.
McLachlan publicly apologised to the former Carlton and Adelaide champion after Betts' disturbing accounts.
Betts, when giving an interview after the release of his autobiography on Wednesday, claimed he had told the AFL "everything" four years ago but felt like he was not listened to.
McLachlan hit out at suggestions the AFL did not take action, saying the league has cracked down on club camps since and there was a "response".
A SafeWork SA investigation last year cleared Adelaide of breaching health and safety laws and an AFL probe in October 2018 cleared the Crows of any industry rule breach.
"The difference between finding things, that have been frankly disgraceful, as opposed to breaking laws or rules, that is a challenging one to deal with," McLachlan told 3AW on Friday.
"In terms of the lack of action, I don't agree with that either.
"Our response has been to make changes to say now every camp has to be signed off by the AFL to protect the physical and mental wellbeing of all the participants."
McLachlan said he was in regular contact with Betts but was "wounded" to read the Indigenous icon's accounts in his book, The Boy from Boomerang Crescent.
Betts said he had lost the passion for football after the camp and never found it again before his retirement.
The AFL Players Association have been left shocked by Betts' revelations and have decided to reopen an investigation.
Crows chief executive Tim Silvers, who was appointed to the role in March 2021, publicly and privately apologised to Betts on Wednesday for the trauma the AFL great has endured.
After Betts' retirement at the end of last season following 350 games, the 35-year-old took up a coaching role at Geelong, and on Friday received strong support from Cats coach Chris Scott.