3 minute read
World No.6 Cameron Smith hopes the PGA Tour brings an event to Australia as LIV Golf prompts officials to think about ways to combat the cashed-up rebel tour.
Cameron Smith is urging officials to stage a PGA Tour event in Australia as LIV Golf provokes more controversy and opportunities for the game's stars.
Preparing for this week's US Open in Massachusetts, Smith suggested the growing threat that is the Saudi-backed LIV Golf might prompt the PGA Tour to extend its reach to Australia.
With Greg Norman employed as LIV Golf CEO, hopes were high that Australia's former world No.1 may take an event back to his host country.
That has yet to materialise, leaving an obvious opening for the PGA Tour.
"I would love if the PGA Tour would go down there and play some golf. It's something that I haven't been able to do personally for a couple of years due to COVID," Smith said on Wednesday.
"But I miss playing at home. I'm sure all the fans at home miss seeing world quality golf. I know the Presidents Cup down there (in 2019) was well received.
"Hopefully we can get some more good players down there."
Smith has previously pledged his commitment to the PGA Tour and declined to answer if he'd been tempted to join the likes of multiple major winners Phil Mickelson, Dustin Johnson and fellow US stars Bryson DeChambeau and Patrick Reed in chasing the insane money on offer at the
"I'm here to play the US Open. Everyone has answered the question differently this week, but my focus is just to be here and play good golf," Australia's world No.6 said.
Six Australians including Matt Jones - one of the stars now banned by the PGA Tour - featured in the inaugural LIV Invitational series event at St Albans, north of London at the weekend.
They earned a combined $US1.51 million ($A2.19m) with Travis Smyth alone collecting $US741,000 ($A1.08m) despite finishing 33rd in the 48-man field.
It was Smyth's runner-up finish in the teams' event that made the 27-year-old battler an instant golfing millionaire.