3 minute read
Flyhalf Noah Lolesio made the most of his late call-up to the starting line-up with a flawless display in the Wallabies 30-28 win against England.
* RESULT: Wallabies 30 (Jordan Petaia, Folau Fainga'a, Pete Samu tries; Noah Lolesio 3 penalties, 3 conversions) bt England 28 (Ellie Genge, Henry Arundell, Jack Van Poortvliet tries; Owen Farrell 3 penalties, 2 conversions)
* CROWD: 47,688 at Optus Stadium
* QUOTE: I just want to touch on what a selfless guy Quade is. The old dog, the old bull. He knows his body" - Former All Blacks star Sonny Bill Williams on Quade Cooper's late withdrawal with a calf injury.
* KEY MOMENT: Darcy Swain's brain fade in the 34th minute. Swain was left fuming after his hair was pulled by England lock Jonny Hill. But instead of letting the referee deal with the situation, Swan headbutted Hill. Swain was given a red card, while Hill escaped with a yellow..Despite the numerical disadvantage, the Wallabies held firm and pulled off a famous win.
* MAN OF THE MATCH: Samu Kerevi. The Wallabies inside centre was a bulldozer, with his bullocking runs helping give Australia the all-important go-forward momentum even when down a man.
* TALKING POINT: Noah Lolesio's accuracy proved crucial in helping lift the Wallabies. He ended the night a perfect six from six with the boot. But he was only thrust into the starting line-up following Quade Cooper's late scratching. Does coach Dave Rennie revert to Cooper for the second Test, or does he reward Lolesio?
* KEY STAT: 8-1. That is Eddie Jones' England coaching record against the Wallabies. It's still pretty good, but it is no longer flawless.
* INJURIES: Tom Banks (arm), Quade Cooper (calf), Allan Ala'alatoa (head)